The St. Patrick’s Day weekend was an even bigger festival
than usual. With Ireland in the running for winning the Six Nations rugby
tournament, and the final games occurring on Saturday, everyone was pumped. It’s
like combining Super Bowl Sunday with a three-day weekend like the 4th
of July or something.
I really got into the Six Nations, partly because Ireland
was doing so well. But also because rugby is just exciting to watch. (I like it
better than American football, I think, and way better than soccer.) I wanted
to make sure I was in a good place on Saturday to watch the game. But… the St.
Patrick’s Day festivities had already begun, people were in town from other
places for the Six Nations… Finding a
spot in a pub would require some work. I went into town early for the game,
aiming to try this one old pub I hadn’t been to yet. When I got into town, all
the pubs were already full. I wasn’t early enough. So I kept walking until I
found one. Nothing fancy, but I got a spot where I could sit and watch the game
and have a Guinness or two. It was an exciting game – Ireland vs France – and
the score was close throughout. But Ireland held on to win… Perfect on St.
Patrick’s weekend!
Also began to see what they call the “greening of the city.”
Many buildings around the city put green lights on, and it creates a beautiful
display. I tried to snap some shots of this; not sure they came out very well.
On Sunday, I went out to see some of the St. Patrick’s
weekend festivities. There was a little fair by one of the parks. I had no idea
what to expect. It was one street of rides, and another street of food and kid
entertainment. Not very much. But I did discover curry chips! A treat if you
ever get a chance.
While strolling around, I came across a plaque for a
location where W. B. Yeats had lived. I was in awe.
By the park was the Natural History Museum, with free entry.
I had to check it out. It was very small, and the exhibits were almost entirely
stuffed animals – in poor condition, too. I’d be for paying a small entrance
fee to help with the upkeep on it. It sure could use it.
No comments:
Post a Comment