3-4-14
Amazed that I arrived this morning in Dublin, sober and
conscious – not the way I usually fly. It was nice for a change. Got off the
plane, came through customs trying to explain what it is I’m attempting to do. Work out of Ireland, cross the continent... He wasn't interested. He just asked how long I'd be in Ireland, stamped my passport and wished me a nice day.
Picked up my luggage without incident. I must be the most non-suspicious guy
who ever showed up in Ireland.
In the airport, I was lost. We’d arrived an hour early, so I
didn't expect my cousin Vern for a while. I found a girl at one of the shops to
help me get my iphone to pick up a signal in the airport and sent my cousin a
note via facebook messenger. When I looked up from sending it, there he already
was.
We fumbled our way onto a series of buses and trains, all
the while trying to hear each other. I’d been on two flights in the last
several hours and my ears were plugged. His excuse was he is 70.
Got back to Vern & Neal’s place, and the dog – Freddy –
didn't seem too happy to see me. This did not concern me – I have never met a
dog or a kid I couldn't win over. I got the grand tour… it’s a very nice place,
not only decorated in the familiar style of my cousin, but with many familiar
items I recall from his place back in the states.
We went out. He had to stop at this big, old post office
that had been blown up once or twice in the past (apparently, a lot of things
have been blown up at one time or another in Ireland). We also passed a
building where some guy was once hanged and/or beheaded (I guess that is about
as common as blown-up things).
I recalled some terrific fish n chips from Burdock’s, so we
wandered through the Temple Bar area (which I recalled being filled with drunks
on St Pat’s Day of 2003. Yeah, also pretty common…) and eventually got to
Burdock’s. One old white-haired guy and two younger guys were working it, all
three grooving to some modern pop (especially the old guy). Got our fish n chips and wandered around for a place to eat
it. Christchurch is a religious structure that dates back to the 1100s – what
could be better? We enjoyed our fish n chips, even shared a little with a pair
of pigeons.
After we ate, we wandered home through a small park/cemetery
containing a few headstones, several so old you could barely read them if at
all. A man was walking through with his little dog. The dog came to me and
wanted me to throw sticks for him, so I did. He chased them, but didn't bring
them back.
Jetlag must have
taken over at some point, ‘cause I can’t recall much else from my first day
here.
Ok, that's a good start. I haven't found any fish and chips but I've had some amazing ceveche. Still waiting for the gaol/jail story. Must have been another day. Have fun.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing. You have created great visuals here. Looking forward to your updates. Enjoy!
ReplyDelete